University of Nairobi study has discovered that over 75% of the famous street sausage known by many as ‘mutura’ is contaminated with harmful bacteria that can make you ill within a short time.

According to Henry Wambui who led the study discovered that mutura can cause serious food poisoning to the eaters.The team tasted 100 pieces of mutura from different vending sites within Kangemi, Westlands and Pangani areas.

In the samples collected five types of organisms that could cause illnesses were found.The study revealed that the organisms would “cause a sudden onset of illness in humans within three to four hours of ingestion”, as per the study.

Our study shows roasted and non-roasted African sausages sold in meat outlets in Nairobi County are contaminated with staphylococcus, bacillus, streptococcus, proteus, and E coli organisms,” reads the study in part.

Revellers enjoying the African sausage at a vending site Photo/Courtesy

Also Read;

Drunk Or High? Cannabis Beer Unveiled In South Africa

We found, Staphylococcus spp at 50.4 per cent, Bacillus spp at 19.5 per cent, Streptococcus spp 9.8 per cent, Proteus spp 2.4 per cent, and E coli spp at 1.6 per cent,” added the report.

The major symptoms of infections from mutura could include nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Leave a Reply