There’s a sweeping movement that has victims of sexual assault coming forward and most calling out their assailants and others speaking up on why they never bothered to report the crimes when they happened.
One such lady is Kathryn Mayorga. Ms Mayorga claims Ronaldo sexually assaulted her in a Las Vegas hotel room in 2009, days after his multi billion shilling to Madrid from Manchester.
The megastar, 33, has strongly denied the allegations and once again accused his alleged victim of “promoting” herself using his name.
I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in. Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.
— Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano) October 3, 2018
Last night, Ms Mayorga’s lawyers said a summons had been sent to Ronaldo setting out the civil lawsuit against him – and he had 20 days to respond.
They also said Ms Mayorga was examined earlier this year and diagnosed with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, depression and had admitted considering suicide.
She claims to have reached an out-of-court settlement with Ronaldo in 2010 involving a $375,000 (38 million) payment for agreeing never to go public with the accusations.
Las Vegas Police confirmed reopening the case saying at the time of the incident, the victim didn’t provide location or suspect description but are following up the matter with the information provided.